Thursday, January 24, 2013

Being Sick

Well, I'm in jeans and a t-shirt for the first time since Monday. That's one of my symptoms when I'm sick: an absolute refusal to dress up for anything. It started Monday night on the way back from my sister's house. I was sitting by the window, and I was just so cold! When I got in the house, it didn't get any better. I crawled in bed and shivered for a while, text my boss and let her know I probably needed a substitute at work, then changed into my pjs after the shivering stopped and went to bed.

It all went downhill from there. Tuesday morning, I woke up with body aches, a headache, a snuffy nose, a sore throat, and still freezing. So I laid in bed pretty much all day, minus a few trips to the bathroom and the kitchen. And I stayed in my pjs. I just felt blah. Good thing I didn't have to go into work.

Wednesday wasn't much better. I had a spell of lightheadedness hit me right when a wave of nausea did. So I found the china hutch on my way to the sink. Thankfully, I didn't throw up, but I did manage to smack my eye smartly on the hutch. So I laid on my bed for several hours. That helped. I still couldn't believe through my nose, and my neck was so sore I pulled out a hot water bottle. But I showered and changed from my pjs to some super casual comfy clothes.

Today though, is looking up. I am not nearly as sore, I can breathe through my nose, and my eye doesn't seem to have any permanent damage. I'm even going to go to work today. I'm dressed in normal clothes (jeans and a t-shirt) and actually feel like I have energy today.

But the last three paragraphs aren't really what I want to write about in this post. So many people were concerned for me while I was sick: my manager, my co-workers (at least the ones who knew), friends from Facebook, people at church, and others who keep in touch with me. They all wanted to know if there was anything they could do for me, even offering to travel 50+ miles to help. And there wasn't much any of them could do, except the two co-workers who where able to cover my shifts, but it sure was comforting to know that they would.

Sometimes I think we get sick just so we can be reminded that people care about us. It's easy to forget when life is going well. But we you're sick, it seems like more people reach out. So thank you, friends, for reaching out. I am very thankful for the reminder that my friends care, and that I have so many of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment